Friday, February 14, 2014

A Long Expected Journey

For as long as I can remember, I have been more comfortable in the water than on land. I am like a penguin: awkward and strange on land, but the minute I am under the water, I am graceful and feel instantly at home.

I fell into open water swimming a few years ago. I had been a pool swimmer for a little while, but quit due to diving starts, mean girls, and the fact that the pool was taking me away from my beloved ocean.

I am currently training for the Ederle Swim, a 17.5 mile swim from Battery Park in Manhattan to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. I grew up only a few minutes from Sandy Hook, so this my shot to say that I can swim home. It is a long journey, but one that will be worth it. I plan to complete the swim in August of 2015.

But first! Stage 6 of the 8 Bridges Swim, a 15 mile swim from the Tappan Zee Bridge to the George Washington Bridge. It will be my first marathon swim, and my chance to establish some time goals and get my body ready.

Supporting me on this journey will be Coach Bonnie and my marathon running\future triathlete boyfriend Francis. I hope that this blog will help me document this exciting time in my life, and serve as a log. Some of you have expressed genuine interest and curiosity which makes me feel so good! This will be my way of keeping you informed. Expect lots of history, bad jokes, and hopefully success!

Hold Fast,
Laura


2 comments: