Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway-2.5 Hours in 57 Degree Water

Less than one month away from Stage 6. Some days, I feel like I could swim it without any problems, and other days I find myself wishing I still had several months left to train! I know I am ready, but uncertainty is always lurking behind every door. The only way to calm this uncertainty is to just get out there and swim!

Thursday May 29th is a day that I will always remember. I took a personal day from work, and woke up at 4:30 to head out to Brighton Beach with Bonnie and Lori. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, made some coffee, kissed Francis goodbye, and before I knew it, there we all were staring at the beautiful Atlantic. 


The hills in the distance are the towns of Highlands and Atlantic Highlands, NJ. AH is my hometown! Always a great comfort out in the water!
The air temperature was a chilly 55, and the water temperature a "balmy" 57. On the beach, Lori and I figured out a feeding plan and a basic ideas for the swim. My plan was to go as long as I could go, but no less than 1.5 hours. We procrastinated as much as possible, but at 6:30 Lori and I were in the water! 

It felt amazing! Cold, but as usual, I stopped feeling it after a while and was just able to focus on my swimming and enjoying the gift that is the ocean. I did my first "feed" alone about 40 minutes in. It was a delicious salted caramel GU gel that I had tucked into my cap. I have done several of these feeds before, but this one was particularly hard because I lost a lot of my dexterity and ended up tearing it open with my teeth. Another 40 minutes went by, and I met Bonnie closer to shore. I had some water and applesauce, and was able to "keep everything down" (no puking). Bonnie also told me that I was holding a great stroke rate of 70 strokes per minute. 

A special shout out here to the fabulous Barbara Held (who I observed during her amazing Ederle Swim last summer). Barbara, when Bonnie told me my stroke rate, the first words out of my mouth were "Are you kidding?! That is Barbara Held high!" Thought you would like to know.

Just that little bit of encouragement and knowledge that I did not look like an uncoordinated duck was able to keep me going. My stroke rate dropped slightly in the next set...but that was due to some fear. A huge flock of seagulls were swarming really close to me. I know enough about marine biology to know that means there is something really tasty right underneath the surface of the water. My question was what was exactly chasing those fish UP to the surface?? Not cool! Luckily, they stopped and I regained some focus. 

After another feed, I was able to get my stroke rate back up. 2.5 hours later, I was still going, but getting kind of cold and tired. The main way to make sure your body is not too cold yet is to see if you can move your pinkie to your thumb. I was able to on my right hand, but my left pinkie just wanted to stay extended. I have an amazing coach who knows exactly where to draw the line between a tough workout and hurting myself, so she told me to come on out. Being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted to keep going towards 4 hours sub 60, but I also would rather not hurt myself this close to my swim. It was an indescribable experience! I had successful feeds, remained strong, and most of all, thoroughly enjoyed myself!

After the swim, the three mermaids went and did what all good swimmers do: EAT WAFFLES...and talk about swimming! A swim family is really crucial since it is such a lonely sport day to day, so what better way to bond than over waffles and swapping "my worst swim" or "my best swim" stories.

Bonnie and I then went to the New York Aquarium where we saw penguins sunning themselves, seals swimming through the water with grace,  and the most adorable sea otter ever taking a nice little snooze right at the glass. These sea creatures are a big source of inspiration.
I named him Bill.

Now, there was one big instance of pain. But it is not what you think... I forgot to put body glide on my neck and that combined with a suit that was a too loose led to this "suit hickey" for the record books.
Kraken-1. Laura-0.
Wish I could say that I got in a fight with the kraken, but no. It hurt a lot. Plus, I had to go to work the next day, and did not want this showing. I busted out that concealer brush and his it the best I could. Slightly embarrassing sharing this oh so beautiful picture, but it will ensure that I never make this mistake again! Several applications of Aquaphor and Desatin later and it is almost completely healed!

Big thanks to Coach Bonnie and Lori King for being the best big swim sisters a lady could ask for. I am amped and feeling really ready to tackle this and any challenge, all thanks to an early morning, friends, some cold water, and waffles.

Hold Fast, 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment