Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tell Me About Stage 2


On Monday June 8th, I will be swimming Stage 2 of 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim. This is likely going to be my toughest swim yet due to its intimidating distance (19.8 miles) and not quite as strong tidal assist. It is still assisted by the tide, but it is not as strong as some of the other stages. Another challenge: five days later, I will be jumping in the Hudson again for the 15 mile Stage 6. Faithful blog readers will remember that I swam Stage 6 last year, but was pulled just shy of the George Washington Bridge. It will have to be a pretty quick recovery!

I chose Stage 2 for the challenging distance and gorgeous rural scenery, but also because I will get to swim past the beautiful Culinary Institute of America. My sister studied there from 2010 to 2013, and graduated with her degree in baking and pastry studies. I have so many fond memories of visiting her there and, of course, devouring many delicious meals! But I also have a very fond swimming memory from there. Casey and her friends from the Baking and Pastry Honor Society volunteered at the 2013 2 Bridges Swim, where I swam the hilariously short 2.5K loop. That swim fell only a few short weeks after my paternal grandmother passed away suddenly. It was very therapeutic to be with most of my immediate family at an event with some semblance of normalcy. We spent the rest of the day at CIA and ate delicious take out from the Eveready Diner, since the resident assistant extraordinaire was on duty. It was also lovely using my sister's private RA bathroom to shower post swim. After Francis and I got back to the city, I remember curling up into bed while he watched Star Trek: Voyager, and feeling incredibly lucky to have an amazing swimming support system, and to be small part of such a great community of athletes. I still think of that day whenever I hear Jerry Goldsmith's beautiful theme to Voyager. I am hoping to channel that wonderful memory of family and good food when I am feeling tired or ready to quit Stage 2.

Savvy motivated volunteer right there!

Some course information courtesy of 8 Bridges. The two bridges are the Kingston Rhinecliff and the Mid-Hudson. It also goes by FDR's home and presidential library. Anyone who knows my family and its shared (well, mostly shared) love of all things historical will not be surprised that the FDR house was one of the first places we visited when Casey got into CIA.




Hoping for good weather, calm water, and a north wind!

Host Fast,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment