Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Emotions of a Marathon Swim

The Emotions of a Marathon Swim... Told With Some Help From the Characters of Disney/Pixar's "Inside Out"

FEAR


What, this swim is how long? What if there is a south wind?* What if there is lighting? What if there is torrential rain? Do sharks swim in the Hudson River? What if I jump off the boat like a duck and humiliate myself in front of all the cool swimmers?* What if my feeds upset my belly? What if I get knocked unconscious by a sturgeon? 


DISGUST

Ugh, Desitin, I love that your 40% zinc oxide keeps my skin sunburn free, but like, I just CAN'T with your putrid odor.* It reeks, and I just hate it. ICK!!! I just took in a whole nose and mouth full of river water. Ack! Ack! Get it out! Gross! Gross!

ANGER


STOP BLOWING, SOUTH WIND! JUST STOP! I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU MESSING WITH THE EBB TIDE! YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME!? IF YOU THROW ONE MORE WAVE IN MY FACE I AM GOING TO LOOSE IT! YOU'VE ALREADY RUINED ONE SWIM FOR ME, DON'T YOU DARE RUIN ANOTHER!*

SADNESS

Looks like I am not going to make it to the bridge again. I won't get to celebrate and stroll into work like a hero in the same way. I wish I could take those final strokes under the bridge and hear the boat blow the air horn. I trained really hard for this. It was a lot of work. Maybe I am not such a good swimmer? I really just want a hug and a blanket right now.*

JOY

I love swimming! I love the open water! I made it 15 miles with waves crashing over me the whole time, and it was really really hard, but I love the challenge! I am surrounded by an amazing group of swimmers and have people back on land who love me just for me! I get to eat a big dinner tomorrow night and snack all day! What should I eat!? I got to spend a day doing what I love with people I love. What could be better than that!?

So there you have it.

Hold Fast,

Laura

*There was
*This happens EVERY TIME I jump off a boat.
*I did not put it in on my face, and I got burned. I will next time no matter how bad it smells.
*This is edited a bit. In real life, there were some choice words here.
*I really did almost just stop swimming and take a mini nap because I was sad. Luckily, that did not last too long.

1 comment: